Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Sock Fiasco Continues...

I've got both good news and bad news regarding the Aran Braided socks that I made my grandmother. The bad news is that they didn't fit. If you look closely at the socks I knit you will see that I decided to continue the braiding down onto the top of the foot because I felt that the plain ribbing just wasn't good enough for my cute little grandma:

Well, when I did that I added too much tension into the pattern and the poor woman wasn't able to get the socks over her heel. The possibility that this might happen crossed my mind when I made the alteration but I figured that it wouldn't be bad enough to prevent the socks from getting on the foot of the wearer.

The good news about this little fiasco is that I get to knit a more enjoyable pattern with the same yarn! I spent the day with my grandmother and mom shopping. Then we went back to my parent's house and talked and ate dinner. During this time I was racking my brain for a sock pattern that I already had that was similar to the pattern I knit. I didn't want to reknit the correct pattern for the socks or larger socks with the same alteration because, as I mentioned before, I REALLY dislike this pattern. I wanted to get started on something right away and I only had Val's Sensational Knitted Socks with me. So I looked through the book and decided on the Ribbed Lace pattern on page 50.


The pattern looks similar but the technique is very different so hopefully this will be a much more enjoyable knit. I will use the yarn from the ripped pair and hope to finish by the end of the week so that I can mail them to her in a timely manner... She does live in Kansas which isn't an altogether comfortable place to be wearing wool socks in the summer.

Today the women on my mother's side of the family got together to open our Christmas presents and we had quite a blast, just like old times. I received some long awaited wine glasses and can't wait to use them. I don't like sweet wines and tend to drink cabernet but my grandma gave me some white wine glasses along with red wine and champagne glasses, so I stopped at the liquor store on the way home and picked up some chardonnay. I have to say, it's a lot better than the white wines I've tried before. Perhaps I've just been trying a bunch of sweet white wines; this would certainly explain my aversion to white wines altogether... And now, an image of how I plan to spend my evening:

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Love the photograph of the wine, world, and yarn :)

Jennifer said...

Thank you! That map is actually the top of my coffee table!

Kucki68 said...

Hi, I think the braiding on the top of the foot does not have anything to do with your grandmother not being able to get the sock over her heel, as that would only tighten the foot part and that is not going over the heel.

Karin

Jennifer said...

That is an interesting point. Hm. Well then I'm just confused about why those socks did not work out. Thank you for the advice!